One source of the Progressive totalitarian impulse
A primary driver of practical Progressive political action is the maintenance of that presumption of moral and intellectual superiority built on the theoretical / ideological foundation. That is, Progressives have a burning compulsion to impose their presumed superiority on the world. And, the only means of accomplishing this end is the acquisition of power: both political and social.
Progressives seek and then wield that power with a brutality that intimidates the opposition. This in turn creates an environment in which their expansion of power appears to be inexorable. However there are many millions of citizens who, though cowed, burn with anger at those who demand their submission by brute political and social force. These people may appear to be defeated or even in support of the Progressive project. But they are actually looking for a vehicle through which they can express their internal sense of rejection.
Our contemporary situation is the practical flowering of this conflict. There is no way to predict which side will prevail. However the result will likely determine if this nation remains a Constitutional Republic or is transformed into a nation of Masters and Serfs.
This is the stark, binary choice that has been presented to us by the Progressive Left in the 2020 election.
The Binary Choice
The choice being presented to the citizens of the United States is simple and stark:
- Vote in the Democrat Presidential Candidate and he/she/whatever will view their victory as a mandate to implement the Republic destroying ideas that they campaigned on.
- Vote in Donald Trump for a second term and, while the civility of our political discourse will continue to suffer, we will still likely have a Republic in 2024.
Back in 2016 I was deeply concerned that Donald Trump was simply a mirror image of the Progressive political corruption that exploded under Barack Obama’s presidency. He has rather, in spite of withering, unrelenting resistance by the Democrats (and many Republicans as well), pursued the very Conservative economic and social policies that the “conservative” political establishment (now the “Never-Trumpers”) claimed they supported. He is also seeking to extract the United States from the seemingly unending, un-winnable wars that have sapped our nation’s morale and strength. He has kept his campaign promises to a degree that shames most recent politicians, Democrat and Republican alike. Perhaps that’s another reason that they hate him so.
Make no mistake, if the Democrats win in 2020 under their proto-totalitarian platform, there will likely be little holding back this time. Expect:
- a Progressive packed Supreme Court, with 11, 13, however many justices are required to ensure uniform Progressive decisions (or they may simply remove and replace President Trump’s appointees);
- the Justice Department (including the FBI) and Intelligence Services to become politicized to a far greater degree than they were under President Obama and thus a far greater threat to our civil liberties;
- by unConstitutional means, for the Electoral College, the First and Second Amendments and the Senate to come under withering attack;
- our nation’s boarders to be erased, resulting in massive migration from any country by anyone who for whatever reason wants to get in, and, once in, supported by the U.S. taxpayers;
- an economy devastated by the aggressive deployment of Socialist policies and environmental regulations;
- the media, social and mainstream, to become even more aggressive and cruel in their assault on any and all people who disagree, or even don’t agree with sufficient fervor;
- the vicious, murderous physical attacks on and intimidation of non-Progressives by the Progressive proto-Fascist shock troops (i.e., Antifa) and random mobs/individuals will dramatically increase.
One other point. For all his crudity and bombast, Donald Trump must be one of the most honest men to have attained the Presidency. The entire apparatus of the Federal Government, Democrat Party and Mainstream Media have been out to find something (anything!) by which to destroy him since at least 2015. All they have been able to come up with are bogus Dossiers and Whistleblower complaints. They continue hyper-Ahab-like pursuing their Great White Wale.
The Progressive elite have revealed themselves to be utterly corrupt, incompetent, infantile, narcissistic, self-serving and deceitful. No self respecting free person should want to be ruled by this cohort of self-lobotomized collectivist ideologues. And now, for better or worse, it has fallen on Donald Trump to stand between us and their desired proto-totalitarian goals.
As things stand now I will vote for Donald Trump in the 2020 Presidential Election.