Environmental Death Cult meets Satire Killed by Reality meets Questions for Socialists meets Intentions vs. Results in the Green New Deal
This an embarrassing, pathetic and dangerous time for our republic. We have reached the point at which a 29 year-old know-nothing/wrongthing can be elected to Congress who believes that her ideological purity literally enables the fundamental physical transformation of the United States from fossil fuel based to green energy based within 12 years. The Green New Deal document, released and then pulled yesterday, was pre-supported by most of the Democrat presidential candidates.
Others have provided the necessary assessment of this dingbattery. Following are comments on just a few of the too many cringe-inducing ideas in this document.
- Ban cars. To be fair, under the GND, everyone will need to retrofit their cars with Flintstones-style foot holes or pedals for cycling. The authors state that the GND would like to replace every “combustion-engine vehicle” — trucks, airplanes, boats, and 99 percent of cars — within ten years. Charging stations for electric vehicles will be built “everywhere,” though how power plants will provide the energy needed to charge them is a mystery.
- Gut and rebuild every building in America. Markey and Cortez want to “retrofit every building in America” with “state of the art energy efficiency.” I repeat, “every building in America.” That includes every home, factory, and apartment building, which will all need, for starters, to have their entire working heating and cooling systems ripped out and replaced with…well, with whatever technology Democrats are going invent in their committee hearings, I guess.
- Eliminate air travel. GND calls for building out “highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary.” Good luck Hawaii! California’s high-speed boondoggle is already in $100 billion dollars of debt, and looks to be one of the state’s biggest fiscal disasters ever. Amtrak runs billions of dollars in the red (though, as we’ll see, trains will also be phased out). Imagine growing that business model out to every state in America?
My personal favorite for absurdity is this (emphasis added):
We set a goal to get to net-zero, rather than zero emissions, in 10 years because we aren’t sure that we’ll be able to fully get rid of farting cows and airplanes that fast.
Bur for sheer infuriation this item may be the tops (emphasis added).
- Build on FDR’s second bill of rights by guaranteeing: …
- Economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work
The fact that this bizarre screed was received with almost universal mockery and disbelief gives me cold comfort. Yes, I understand that the Green New Deal has exactly zero chance to become law. However, the following facts bode ill for our future.
- Our educational system has delivered people who are simultaneously so ignorant and so confident.
- There were enough people in a Congressional district to elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to the U.S. House of Representatives.
- As stated in the Los Angeles Times: “Equally notable, however, was the list of who signed on — most of the major Democratic presidential candidates in the race so far.” Thus the supposedly most seasoned and serious Democrat politicians, either by cowardly submission or true-belief, supported this proposal.
- Ocasio-Cortez and company wrote and released this document based on their ideological fantasies that by simply believing so completely and having such good intentions they were sure to be right in all that was contained therein.
They must have been shocked by the response. Even a natural ally like Senator Mazie Hirono couldn’t help but point out an obvious logical flaw. For these reasons Representative Ocasio-Cortez took down the web page that had previously held the Green New Deal FAQ document.
So how do I justify my title? Here’s how.
Environmental Death Cult
While I’m absolutely sure that it isn’t intended (see below), were the Green New Deal ever actually implemented it would make the Ukrainian Famine caused by the Russian Communists look like a minor event. Who can doubt that, as reliable, plentiful and affordable fossil fuels are ripped away and “replaced” by unreliable, scarce and prohibitively expensive “green energy,” tens, even hundreds of millions of Americans would die from cold/heat, starvation and social chaos as the nation’s economy collapsed?
Satire Killed by Reality
I may have to give this topic up. I simply don’t see how anything else could occur in reality that is so far beyond what could be imagined by the greatest satirical minds (oh please let this be true). Progressivism has now surely killed satire.
Questions for Socialists
In my series of this name I attempted to force our Socialists to address obvious but unasked questions. In order to implement the Green New Deal the United States would have to succumb to totalitarian Socialism. So, here’s my question based on the Green New Deal:
How is it that a political movement that claims to be the vanguard of intellectual and moral thought could generate such an absurd proposal that is so widely supported within the Progressive movement?
Intentions vs. Results
The Green New Deal is a pinnacle of “good intentions” replacing “good results” (see all of the above). This is the end result of the “participation trophy,” “self-esteem,” and “education by ideology” culture that we have allowed to grow over the past thirty years. Yes, I blame those among us who have successfully pushed these ideas into our educational system and mass media.
However those of us who knew better but chose to remain silent and passive in the face of this onslaught must also accept responsibility for this situation. The day is growing late, we must decide if it’s more important to ruffle the feathers of people pushing destructive ideas or protect our nation from the chaos that they would cause.