Over the course of this blog’s existence I have attempted to understand the reasons that our PCUSA elites feel free to ignore and distort the clear teaching of Scripture on numerous issues, Christian marriage being the most recent and prominent. However, given these deliberations on post-modernism, the Jesus Seminar and Gnosticism, I believe that there is a credible hypothesis that covers the known facts. This hypothesis, stated from the point of view of the PCUSA post-modern elite, is as follows.
- There is no such thing as “objective truth” since post-modern philosophy has disproved this as a possibility.
- The Bible cannot be considered to be a reliable source of objective information about God and His relationship to humankind. In fact, most of the Bible, including the Gospels, contains inauthentic information.
- Because Christianity has erroneously used the Bible as THE reliable source of objective information about God and His relationship to humankind, it has failed to successfully evolve as human knowledge and experience has increased over time.
- Given this failure, Christianity is currently experiencing a crisis that can only be resolved if it is massively reimagined and updated.
- The vast majority of practicing Christians lack the knowledge, creativity and will to reimagine and update the faith.
- However, we are the elite group of Christians who are capable of this feat. We have aligned ourselves with the forces in Western Civilization that are working within the enlightened secular context of radical progressivism. The economic and social pillars of this enlightened secular force are socialism and multiculturalism.
- Our implicit religious justification for this authority is reimagined Gnosticism.
- Our challenging project is to align Christianity with the enlightened secular world, thus creating a comprehensive, cohesive society in which all aspects of human activity are pursuing the same end goals.
- In order to accomplish this goal, we must undermine and then dissolve historic orthodox Christianity so that it can be replaced by the new, enlightened version.
- While the Bible can’t yet be openly disregarded, it must be undermined, distorted and selectively used so as to, over time, wean the ignorant masses from its grip.
- Due to our obvious superiority, we, the secret knowledge elite, have the right to destroy Christianity and remake it in our own image.*
- Anyone who opposes this project is, by definition, not part of this secret knowledge elite, and therefore must be defeated at any and all costs.
*Thus, this group exhibits a form of narcissism, defined as “extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one’s own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.”
The following figure provides a visual representation of this working hypothesis. Note that I am not claiming that a significant proportion of PCUSA elites consciously consider themselves to be Gnostic. However, I am claiming that many of them, in order to justify their goals and actions, appear to have have integrated Gnostic-like ideas into their worldview.
Time and experience will tell if this hypothesis is on the whole correct.
With this post the Gnosticism Reimagined series is completed. I will explore the issue of multiculturalism in the next series — Loving All Our Neighbors.